Saturday, February 28, 2015

My portfolio review with Eduardo Angel

Yesterday I met with Eduardo Angel for a portfolio review session. I brought him my current work on my dreams, and also the projections I did last quarter. It was very refreshing to get insight from someone that didn’t know me, and now I realize I need to practice speaking about my work, and how to answer efficiently. He asked really good questions and gave me good sources to look at. 
            I had decided to focus my surroundings in the forest/wooded areas because they are explained in theories as an unconscious realm that is not kept by man.  Eduardo told me that the images could be mistaken for being lazy because they looked similar. I need to use the forest in different ways, make the presentation different, and make it attractive so that the content could be approachable.  Even though I shoot in different states, and cities, I chose areas that looked similar, but could be mistaken as me shooting everything in one afternoon. He gave me credit for not having them look cliché with vignette and fog, which was nice, but suggested movement may be the best way to do this project. We talked about if my images were in a gallery in Boston, and I was not around to explain it, what would the images say on their own. What I showed him would not be interesting enough for people to want to walk up to, and that’s what I need to change.

Once he saw my projections, something seemed to click for him that I never considered. He started to connect my themes and essentially said they were the same project just a slightly different approach. In both series I am using the present, and inserting the past, or a fantasy somehow. He gave me the suggestion to project my dreams back into the spaces, to make them stranger so that they become fluid. That’s just a little of what we talked about, and from all of the suggestions I have a lot of decisions to make before next Thursday. I feel a lot better about my project in general, and now I have a more concrete approach to solving my conflicts.

No comments:

Post a Comment