Saturday, February 21, 2015

High Museum Visit

The most exciting part of this week was attending the exhibit Segregation Story by Gordan Parks with my classmates and professors. I have been waiting all semester to see it, and it was very refreshing to see imagery that coexisted with the civil rights movement, that didn’t contain firehoses and German shepherds attacking people. It was very beneficial to have Brett Abbot their to inform us of the decisions and history behind the exhibit. It was nice to see the images in person rather than in the books or online. I was very affected by his work, and it gave me a new perspective.

One thing that I did experience since having my DNA test back is that I look at the civil rights movement, and slavery a lot different. On my estimate for my sample it stated 93 % of my ancestors come from Africa. (Nigeria, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Ghana, and so many more areas.) I started watching the mini series on Tuesday called The Book of Negros, and the beginning consisted on them taking new slaves to the coast to sail to America.  I think to some degree my generation is aware of the cruel history for people of color, but I definitely see it differently now having seen more proof that my ancestry is made up of many regions in Africa.  I question whether imagery like Gordan Parks, or movies like Selma etc., will effect African American people more, if they knew their ancestry better?

After Brett Abbot left, I began looking around again, and started discussing with Sara and Campbell how I felt about the exhibit. The images to me are a beautiful & ugly truth. I think it’s awesome for people to see because it makes them aware. It does drive me to have a reason why I make work, and I discovered that I want to be an activist through my photography.

My biggest question now is how many people from my generation would see themselves, and the civil rights movement differently if they knew their ancestry?


2 comments:

  1. The DNA test was so cool ! My interest was aroused, to do such a test ! And what's more, appreciate that I learned a lot about southern culture from you guys, really educational and inspiring! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have to care to know. They need a sense of curiosity outside of themselves. Doctor and Mrs. King, John Lewis, Ralph Abernathy, Jessie Jackson, Julian Bond, Hosea Williams and many more fought long and hard to make changes. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 encouraged many people of color to go to the polls to vote and formally legislate change. The 1960's were a tumultuous time. I felt back in 1968, that the earth was shimmering in the heat of all the political assassinations, the Vietnam War and racial unrest. I wasn't sure we were going to hold it all together as a country. Such ugliness. Such destruction. Such fear. Eventually, good won out over bad. It always does.

    ReplyDelete