Friday, February 6, 2015

Critique & Beauty

Midterm Week

This week has been eventful and very inspiring. I decided at the end of last week to scrap the idea of making still lives, because it was no longer exciting and they weren’t what I was envisioning. I decided to do still and multiple exposures in landscapes to start. From my critique I got a lot of feedback and I feel a lot clearer on the direction I want to precede in. Knowing that I have the tendency to start all my projects off very personal it was helpful to hear the responses in class, and on what not to stress over. Now that I have started, I am very excited to continue working on this project. Today I am in Texas, and tomorrow I will be in Louisiana. I have a lot of ideas and I am happy we had the critique before my travels so my focus can be narrowed on the few that matter. Even though I am not certain it will help define why I have my dreams or nightmares, at least I will be able to show people a glimpse, if not all of the scenarios in my mind.

______________________________________________________________________________


Skin Lightning


Since I have been taking digital craft this semester, we have often brought up the complexities of how the public perceives retouched images in advertising, media and marketing. I started looking at magazine covers amidst to the Kerry Washington cover of InStyle that has been receiving a lot of backlash this past week. This situation was bought to my attention by social media, so I decided to goggle “skin lightning” and found a lot interesting responses with images that were juggling between acceptable and unacceptable. Social media is such a big component of the newer generations, that I wonder how much it is going to change what the world see’s as acceptable and unacceptable in our trends of glamour and beauty.

Below are some examples of covers that have had "good lighting"




1 comment:

  1. I've heard and seen lots of people think light skin girl is more attractive than dark skin girl. I have never agreed so. Lupita is not light; Naomi Campbell is not light; Tyra Banks is not light. You see what I see? They are gorgeous! In the other words, a part of reason that people think light girls are more attractive is due to social media and publications. they seems to more favor to that which is F up. Comparing to today's VS angels, I prefer their 90s angels which was more diverse and exotic.

    ReplyDelete